Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Poly Polar Bear Ornament

Last week, I made the poly pig for Cam's Christmas ornament this year, so I decided to knock out Scarlett's next.  I came up with this little guy:
Made him using Sculpey original (body and snowflake) and Sculpey Studio (eyes, foot pads, nose, scarf, and holly bunch).  Baked at 275 degrees for 25 minutes.  This picture is taken after he had baked and then had his eyes painted.  He's still not done yet, waiting on my Amazon order to arrive so I can paint the snowflake with glitter paint and possibly do some shading with soft pastels before I glaze him and add his hanging ribbon..  Not sure on the soft pastels, though... I've never used them before and it makes me a bit nervous.  Might just stick with painting a glittery snowflake.  :)

    A few other pics of him before he was baked/painted:





    I think she'll get a kick out of him.  We'll see!

9 comments:

  1. Your ornaments are beautiful! until this year i had purchased a similar style ornament for our family every year. Well I rustled up some courage and decided to make ours for this year. how on earth do you get yours to look so smooth? I have pulled it out a couple of times and was unhappy with my work so I put it away. I am going to try again tonight with a different design idea.

    They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant yours look awesome...I saw your other one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ashley and Jen!

    I just spend a lot of time conditioning the clay. (Conditioning is just smushing it around in your hands, warming it up and making it pliable.) I'm picky about cracks and lumps so I'll roll it for a long time until it's super smooth. No matter what, you can always hunt down finger print lines SOMEWHERE on the ornament, but I go through and try to smooth them out before baking it so they're minimal.

    My one tidbit of advice working with Sculpey is that you really have to be careful about cleaning your hands in between clay colors. Otherwise, your white bear will have multicolor smudges on it. A good scrubbing is definitely necessary. Just make sure your hands are completely dry before you start up again or it's a mess. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the advice....I think next time I will get the stiffer clay and the softener. I did get our snowman family done last night and I am pretty happy with them. They aren't perfect but I can live with that. With all your tips next years should be much better! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No problem! BTW, I saw your Christmas wreath (on your blog) so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Thank You! I am glad you stopped by to check it out. I am probaly going to do a little post on my snow man family and I was going to mention your blog and post for great clay advice and a good read if that is ok with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to see the snowman family! Also, you are more than welcome to post a link to my blog. That would be wonderful, thank you! :-D

    ReplyDelete