Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Hungry Caterpillar Burp Cloths, Grow Boxes, and Printing on Twill Tape.

     Got some burp cloths finished for the baby due in August.  We still don't know if it's a boy or girl, but "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" is awesome in that it's good for either.  Scarlett kept asking why the caterpillar looked sad.  I told her that it was because he ate too much.  Her solution?  "A lollipop will make him feel better."  Yeah, don't think she gets the concept of eating too much.

Also, my Grow Boxes arrived today!  Yes, I fell prey to the evilness of advertising and ordered some out of a magazine.  I did a bit of research on them beforehand, though... and they did have good reviews.   (Reviews that I found independent of the company's website.  Of course the company wouldn't ever say if their product stunk.)
     This is how they looked when they arrived.  (My Fedex guy does NOT like me right now, though I honestly don't think they were THAT heavy.)

I unpacked one box first and these are the pieces that were included. 

Top: Bottom portion of box; Left: fertilizer patches; Right: Top part of Grow Box

     They were super easy to set up.  I got all ten finished in about half an hour by putting them together, assembly-line style.  Once they were done, I moved them to their spot in the backyard.  I did discover that the ground isn't as flat as I thought.  So before I add the potting mix, I'm going to either:

a.)  Pull out my shovel and dig into the ground to level it a bit.
b.)  Prop the front up with scrap lumber, bricks, or something else. 

     I'm not too keen on the athestics of option b, so I'm going to give "a" a shot first.  Here they are, all lined up and ready to be filled with dirt (after they've been leveled to my satisfaction).

     Finally, the last project I've worked on was my attempt to make twill-tape clothing labels.  An epic fail if ever there was one, however, the technique is definitely good for other things.  These did not hold up in the wash, even after attempting to heat seal the ink with an iron.  The ink disappeared completely and the ends frayed.  Talk about a letdown.  I was trying to stay away from heat-transfer labels because I'd read that they frayed, but... oh well.

     However, if you wanted to use this to print your own custom ribbon to embellish small boxes, cards, what-have-you.  It would definitely work for that... as long as you don't plan on it ever being washed. 

The labels-

1/2" x 2"

The process-

     Step 1- Open up a Word document and put your logo image in there (you can adjust the size, then just select the image, hit CTRL+C then CTRL+V to copy repeatedly).  Space it how you want it.

     Step 2-  Print.  Take note of how your printer prints and how the paper is loaded so you can print again easily in Step 5.

     Step 3-  Put double-sided tape directly over the printing.  (I did not try this in landscape format, only portrait... I don't know how it would work in landscape, but I may give it a shot to see if I can increase the length of uninterrupted printing.)

     Step 4- Place twill tape (or satin ribbon, or similar item you would like to print) directly over the double-sided tape... pressing firmly to secure.  If you want to check placement, hold the paper up to a window or light source and see how it lines up.  Looking at the backside will help you to see your logo more clearly and the shadow of the twill or ribbon will show the placement.

Add twill or ribbon and press firmly.

     Step 5- Print.  Make sure you know which way your printer prints so you can send the paper through the same way it originally went through.
     Step 6.  Cut and fray check the ends to make sure they don't unravel.

      Use as desired.

1 comment: