Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Antique Machine, Reversible Tote, and Skull Bubble Sun Suit.

     While we were stationed in Germany, I found an old antique sewing machine in a thrift store.  I loved the look of it and brought it home.  At the time, I didn't sew (I've only been sewing for about 2 1/2 months now), so I never even thought about fixing it up.  Just thought it would be a great conversation piece...

  However, lately whenever I walk past it, I can't help but wonder if it can be brought back from the dead.  I called a few sewing machine repair places in town and wasn't having much luck until I called the last one.  The lady told me that her husband could show me how to hook up a new belt and give me a quick lesson on the machine.  Nice!
     Once again, the sewing forum pulled through for me.  A very sweet forum member was able to find an online manual for a similar machine, and point me in the direction of some sewing history.  Time to sit down and do a bit of reading!

     Yesterday, I had a major case of the "blahs" and just needed some inspiration.  Flipping through my sewing books, I saw a pattern for a reversible tote.  I knew that would be a great way to suck up some time and use up my "fabric mistake" from my last Fabric.com order.  Didn't read the description closely enough and ended up buying heavier weight fabric than I had intended.  Still liked the colors, though!


A bit wrinkled from repeating my "magic trick" of flipping it for the kids

     This was the first bag I've made and will be a good replacement for the pool bag that Weiner Dog ate.  Weenie eats anything...

     Pattern is from the Stitch by Stitch book.

     Finally, there's the skull and crossbones bubble sun suit.  I made a sun suit  on Friday and Scarlett has tried to wear it every day since, flipping out when she discovered it in the laundry.  I decided to just make another one, only changing the straps so they met in a tighter "V" and then buttoned in the front instead of in the back.
     Found this funky material at Joann's:
And used the same tutorial as last time... only changing the straps and leaving out the snaps at the bottom.  (Bottom is sewed closed.)
Please excuse the snack she dumped on the floor!  :)

     Oh, and not crafty, but still kind of neat... our beans are ripe!  The kids and I picked our first bowl for the season.  YUM!  This is what was left after the kids were done munching....

3 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the sun suit. The fabric is awesome and it looks perfect on your DD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Jessica! It was so much fun to make. :-D

    ReplyDelete