Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Play Apron and Kimono Dress

Today, I finally finished the project I've been thinking about for a few weeks now.  Scarlett's kimono dress!

The pattern is from Mod Kid Boutique and came with a full-color instruction booklet, which is great for a beginner like me!  (I've been sewing for about 2 1/2 months now... I have yet to sew a zipper, they scare me.)  PLUS, they didn't waste any time shipping it out.  I get impatient when I have a project in mind, so speedy shipping is always a "must" in my book.

     I will also say that this was my first time making bias tape with the method that they had in the booklet.  Every other time, I just guesstimated.  Didn't realize it, but by the time I was done following their instructions, I had made 8 YARDS... YARDS not "feet"... of bias tape!  I had this idea in mind of using the same ivory fabric to bind it instead of using pre-made bias tape and it came out exactly the way I wanted it to, which doesn't happen often. (I wanted the small vine/leaf design instead of solid cream, my husband calls it "OCD", I call it "attention to detail".)

Scarlett had a blast with it too.

Okay, on to the other project...

     After making the apron for my cousin's daughter, I ended up liking it so much that I wanted to make one for Scarlett as well.  I'm loving that "Girl's World" book.  The aprons are fun to make and she had a blast with hers.

In her play kitchen

She insisted on wearing it the next day too.
     Other than that, our family has been getting ready for the move.  We're packing up and moving off-post into a rental home.  Can't wait to finally have a craft room again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment